We brush our teeth regularly, we gargle, we pay attention to what we eat... Could we still be missing something about our oral health?
Contrary to popular belief tongue cleaning is not a luxury but a necessity for oral and physical health.! Inside our mouth, there are millions of living organisms from different types of bacteria and fungi. Daily oral cleaning is of great importance for these organisms to remain in balance. Our tongue, on the other hand, creates a wonderful environment for bacteria to multiply due to its structure; So an unclean tongue is always a potential area where harmful bacteria can multiply quickly.
In fact, this process should not be seen as an extra burden; We can complete the tongue cleaning with 1-2 extra movements while brushing teeth. Dr. Tongue cleaning according to Can Çiftçi;
- Bacteria can control the population. Bacteria under control helps maintain our oral and dental health.
- It is effective in removing bad breath.
- It prevents the bacteria on the tongue from multiplying and spreading excessively.
- It prevents harmful components absorbed by bacteria and the “biofilm” formed by bacteria from entering the body.
- It provides better taste by scraping the bacteria that covers the taste buds on the tongue. While we taste better, we secrete more saliva. This makes the digestive process that starts in the mouth more efficient.
How to clean tongue?
You can do this with a tongue cleaner. by the Cochrane Collaboration Two studies conducted in 2006has proven that tongue cleaners are more effective than toothbrushes at reducing volatile sulfur compounds that cause bad breath. The point to note here is that the cleaner is made of a material that does not harm your oral health.
To clean the tongue:
- After a long starvation, the bacteria becomes the densest and the biofilm layer becomes the thickest. That's why morning hours are the best time for tongue cleaning.
- Extend the cleaner attachment to the very back of your tongue and brush or scrape from the middle. Continue to clean from front to back and avoid making any drastic movements.
- Finish the process in about 1-2 minutes.
- You can then use apple cider vinegar or coconut oil to thoroughly disinfect your mouth.
- Repeat this process every day.
The views expressed in this article are written to shed light on alternative studies and to encourage conversation about these studies. Even if the articles contain the advice of physicians to some extent, they are for informational purposes only. This text; cannot replace professional medical advice, diagnosis and treatment.
More for the curious:
Dr. Can Çiftçi – Phytotherapy Specialist
After graduating from Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Dr. Can Çiftçi founded fitekran.com in 2013. His book, Ketofasting: Ketogenic Nutrition and Intermittent Fasting, by Çiftçi, who carries out studies in the fields of obesity, oncology nutrition, phytotherapy, athlete health, rare diseases, functional medicine and pathophysiology, met the readers in 2019. Dr. Can Çiftçi continues to serve in his own clinic as a phytotherapy specialist and consultant physician.